Haverstraw Bay, NY to Macedon, NY


The wind brace, a line attached to Odyssey’s port side center cleat and running 70’ to a post on shore, became violin string tight as the wind increased.  Odyssey’s starboard side was attached to Riverview Marina’s floating docks and thanks to the wind brace we were not crushed against the floating docks, but instead floated free from it as our dock lines helped hold the rest of the dock system from skewing down wind.

We were in Catskill, NY taking a couple of days break from long days on the water.  It was a chance to have a few meals out and do laundry.  Loving air-dried towels and pillowcases we hung them out to dry.  The relentless wind almost got one of the towels.  Ruth found it caught on a downwind stanchion.  Sadly the wind blew our ditty bag, a relic from our first boat 40 years ago overboard.  Originally it held sail mending supplies, but for many decades it was our official clothes pin bag.   Now it’s gone and a plastic box with no memories has taken its place.

A floating hot dog stand passed by.  He does a brisk business feeding the fishermen out on the Hudson.  You can even dine aboard.

The marina was in a Verizon dead spot for Air Cards so we took our laptops and headed up to the library.   In addition to catching up on email we took some extra time enjoying the library.

NOAA was into nasty wind forecasts with predictions of 50 mph winds later in the day.  To make the morning interesting NOAA had fog, rain and cold in the forecast.  We headed out in a gray damp dawn heading up the Hudson weaving our way through hundreds of wet fishermen competing in fishing tournaments  along the Hudson.

A festival was in progress as we tied up at Waterford.  It added a bit of interest to the waterfront. At first we thought guys dressed in white, with jingle bells around their shins, prancing, and waving handkerchiefs was a put on.  We watched for a bit and learned they were Morris dancers, carrying on an old English dance tradition.

High winds caused many of the exhibitors to shut down early.  We hunkered down in Odyssey and hung around to let the wind blow itself out.

Lock 2 (there is no Lock 1) opened and for the first time in our many trips on the Erie Canal we were following a large pick up truck traveling backwards into the lock.  The truck was riding on another first for us, a 150’ landing craft.  We followed the landing craft through a number of locks watching what appeared to be an inexperienced crew struggle to get the vessel into the lock and secured.  Once they got their bulky craft secured, we entered and left as much space as we could to minimize their prop wash as they left the lock.

Ahead we could see an old friend, the Day Peckinpaugh.  She’s being restored as a museum ship.  We remember her from her working days as a powered cement barge arriving in Oswego to take on cement to deliver along the canal.

Baldwinsville had added power and water hookups since our last visit.  With the temperature forecasted to drop into the 30’s we were disappointed to find the power was off.  Minutes later the town clerk showed up, made a call and 5 minutes later the power that had been off for the winter was operational again.  Dockage was free, power cost $5 if you use it.  We paid the clerk so we could enjoy a warm boat the next morning.

Syracuse crew and Don ducking the speeches

Tug Syracuse helm station

We’d arrived on the 100th anniversary of the opening of lock 24 and a small ceremony was planned to reenact a picture taken 100 years earlier.  It was fun to watch the politicians arrive, say a few words and then assemble to duplicate the picture.  While the politicians talked I got a tour of the tug Syracuse’s cockpit.  Instead of a wheel, the Syracuse is steered hydraulically by shifting levers on either side of the cockpit.

The Baldwinsville carp catch and release tournament was kicking off.  We wandered over and watched the opening ceremonies and the drawing for fishing positions along the shore.  It’s not high-powered entertainment, but a fun bit of local color.

Newark became our base for a week as we visited with Steve, Linda, Brian and Jody while getting in a bit of physical fitness work helping Steve with fence work and haying.  Mayor Peter Blandino stopped by to welcome us back.  We let him know how pleased we were with all the improvements he’s made to Newark’s waterfront park.

On May 20th we arrived at our summer home port: Mid-Lakes marina in Macedon, NY.   Either Odyssey or the Trek will be found here most of the time for the rest of the summer as we alternate exploring the Erie Canal on Odyssey, or visiting family by bike, or Trek.

Noticed Along the Path will have posts of the interesting things we find while exploring the ashore.  The Herd and Haying (actually a link to our niece Jody’s blog and a her hilarious account of our haying experience) are the first two posts about our farm experiences.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: